|California Settlers Maps Alameda Co. CA||About/Contact|
Interactive Map at Yahoo
A decree of secularization by the Mexican government in 1934 removed the Missions from the administration of the padres and brought the mission system to an end. Jose de Jesus Vallejo was appointed civil administrator and the mission lands were divided into ranchos. the Spanish gave to retired Spanish soldier Don Luis Maria Peralta a 43,000 acre land grant which included what is now Santa Clara Co. which he named "Rancho San Antonio". In 1842, Don Jose Joaquin Estudillo, also a retired Spanish soldier, was granted 7,000 acres of land, which he named "Rancho San Leandro". Rancho San Leandro covered what today is San Leandro, part of San Lorenzo and part of Hayward. "Rancho San Lorenzo" was granted to Guillermo Castro. It included present day Castro Valley, Hayward and part of San Lorenzo. Another "Rancho San Lorenzo", (sometimes called Lorenzito, because it was smaller than Castro's) was granted to Don Francisco Soto. It was to the west of Castro's Rancho and includes most of today's San Lorenzo.
At the end of the Mexican War, in 1848, Alta California was ceded to the United States. The Spanish landowners sold parcials of land to men who had come out during the Gold Rush.
Current San Lorenzo was officially named in 1854 with the opening of the Post Office.