The San Lorenzo History Page by Doris Marciel states:
"Old San Lorenzo was also a wealthy community with its large mansions and ranches. The main town
was located at the famous "Four Corners" Telegraph Avenue and Main Street, now called
Hesperian Boulevard and Lewelling Boulevard.
Today the only mansions that remain are the McConaghy and Meek Estates, and the Heidi farm house.
But the Lewelling, Marlin, Smyth, Hathaway, King and other famous families will always be
remembered in pictures, books and articles."
Interactive map at Yahoo
See also: Alameda Co. Map, Bay Area map, Oakland Map, San Lorenzo page at Yahoo
San Lorenzo cemetery
The Lewelling home was next to the Meek estate, Cherryland, which is still standing at Boston and Hampton Rd. at the end of Meek Park.
Pictures of LL King at Lewelling Orchard in San Lorenzo
Doris Marciel - San Lorenzo History articles at:
San Lorenzo Express
San Lorenzo Village Homes Association
Doris Marciel's great grandfather purchased property and a house in 1875 from Mr. Lewelling. Her grandfather was born in San Lorenzo in 1877, her mother in 1906. She is a 3rd generation San Lorenzo native, still owns the house and property, teaches and writes the history of San Lorenzo.
Lewelling Boulevard in San Lorenzo
is named after one of the family members, probably after Elisha a Calif. state assemblyman (some accounts say it is named after John Lewelling.)
Hayward Area Historical Society (HAHS)
510 581-0223 email@example.com
Museum open 11-4 Tu-Sat.
Library and Archives Open Wed. & Sat. & Wed. 12-4 and by appointment
22701 Main St. at C St.
"Alameda County Illustrated", 1898,
The Oakland Tribune
"Historical Atlas of Alameda Co. Illustrated", 1878
San Lorenzo Pioneer Cemetery
Historic maps of the Bay Area - Hayward Home Farm
Return to Lewelling, King, Hellar
last updated 20 Jun 2007