The Antelope Sewing Club was originated by Mrs. Mary (Max) Holling after her son, Elmer, was killed in WWII; she honored his memory by inviting farm wives to a weekly meeting to make Red Cross Bandages. The women "brown bagged" their lunch. When the bandages were no longer needed, the women decided to meet monthly for lunch and handwork - mending, knitting, crocheting, etc. Fourteen met for the first time on January 17, 1945 with Mary Holling and Dollie Schellhous and hostesses. Those attending were Catherine (McBride) Anderson, Mabel Black, Nellie Downing, Jessica Jugarakis, Ethel Lauppe, Elva and Ruth McBride, Gladys O'Rell, Alma Pruett, Bea Gould, Minnie Thompson and Mary Van Epen. Edna Rhodes and Jean McBride, who were caring for newborn children at the time, joined the group later in the year.
Pat Kamrar joined the group in 1951.